Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a cooperative program through which libraries make materials from their collections available to other users. ILLiad is the system we use to manage interlibrary loan requests.
Who is eligible to use ILL?
UNH students, faculty, and staff are eligible to use interlibrary loan. You can find information about signing up for an account on the Interlibrary Loan page. If you are not sure if you are eligible to use the service please contact the Dimond Library Circulation Desk.
What can I request?
- You can request books, videos, articles, reports, etc that are not available through the UNH Library or BLC Worldcat.
- You can request a scan from the print version or the actual physical volume of a journal if there's a problem with the available electronic version and you need a better copy.
- Interlibrary Loan also includes Document Delivery. You can request PDF copies of articles and book chapters that the UNH Library owns in print or on microform.
What cannot be requested?
Almost all materials are obtainable from other libraries, except:
- Materials to be used for course reserves (contact Reserves Staff in Dimond Library for further assistance)
- Reference books or rare books
- Many textbooks and dissertations
Note: Interlibrary Loan is for one-time short-term needs. For a long-term or repeated need, contact Collection Management to recommend a purchase.
How long will it take to get a request?
- Articles delivered electronically generally arrive in 1-5 days
- Print materials to be loaned out generally arrive in 2-10 days
- Material that is difficult to obtain (e.g. media, rare items, etc.) may take longer to arrive.
What are the circulation policies?
- Due dates, generally between two and six weeks, are assigned by the lending libraries and are printed on the white label on the front of your items.
- Unless otherwise indicated, renewals may be possible. To request a renewal, log in to your Interlibrary Loan account. You will be notified if the lending library denies a renewal request.
- Your items are automatically checked out to you when they are received from the lending library; please let us know if you no longer need the items you have requested.
- Lending libraries may also require In Library Use Only for their materials.
Where do I get my requests?
- Items can be picked up at the Circulation Desk in Dimond Library Level 3 (Main Floor) and should be returned to the same location.
- Articles are most often sent electronically to your email address.
What if I return materials late or damage something?
- Returning ILL materials late can jeopardize UNH's relationship with other libraries and affect ILL services for everyone; please return or renew your materials on time.
- Failure to return ILL materials on time may result in fines, replacement charges and having ILL and library circulation privileges suspended.
- You are financially responsible for any damage to or loss of interlibrary loan materials. Fees are determined by the lending libraries.