How To Find Books
Contact us if you have questions about your topic. We are happy to help.
1. Search a catalog
Decide which catalog to search.
- UNH Library catalog searches Durham and Manchester
- BLC Worldcat catalog searches UNH, Boston Library Consortium, and worldwide
- Use keyword search to find books on a topic
- Use title search when looking for a specific item
- Use author search when looking for books by a person or organization; for a person, enter last name first
- Use advanced search to narrow your results
- Use keywords and subject terms from your results to improve your search
- Use broader terms if you are not getting results
2. Note the location, call number, and status
Example of catalog record
|Dimond - Level 5||E468.7 .B64 1999||AVAILABLE|
|Archives||378 N5Mf B6938s||NON CIRC|
|Manchester Oversize||E468.7 .B64 1999||AVAILABLE|
3. Go to the book location
We have more than one library location. Check Durham library building locations to find the one you need.
- You may want to browse nearby books on the shelf; they are often on the same subject
- If the book is not on the shelf, try checking the waiting shelves (adjacent to the public restrooms on Levels 1, 2, 4, and 5) in Dimond Library or at the service desks of any of the Branch Library locations
- Oversize and juvenile books have special sections in the stacks
4. Check out books
If the book is in Manchester
If the book is in Storage
Click on the Request icon at the top or bottom of the catalog page. It will be sent to Dimond Library for pick up at the Circulation Desk.
If the book is checked out
The catalog will indicate the due date. To get the book, you can
- Request it through BLC Worldcat; books often arrive within 2-5 days
Note: this service is available only to UNH students, faculty, and staff
- Recall the checked-out book