A recall is a request to obtain library materials that are checked out to another patron.
Most checked out library materials are subject to recall. Please note that books lent out to the Boston Library Consortium, reserve materials, and many multimedia items cannot be recalled.
The fastest way to get material that is out to another patron may be to request it through Interlibrary Loan.
If an item is checked out, its status in the library catalog will say "not available" or "loan until."
How to Place a Recall
UNH Library Search Box
- Find the item using the library search box
- Sign in with your UNH account information
- Click "Request"
- Click "Send Request" to confirm your recall
to see recall information
Items cannot be recalled directly through FirstSearch.
When an item checked out to you is recalled, we will send you an email. Next to each item is the new due date for that item. There is no grace period on this new due date. The new due date is usually 10 days from the date of the email, so you should regularly check your email if you have library materials checked out.
If you don't return the item by the new due date, your library privileges will be temporarily suspended and you will receive a $10 fine. When you return the item we will reinstate your privileges. This rule applies to all borrowers, and we greatly appreciate your cooperation with this important policy.
In addition to recalls, the following items can be requested through the catalog:
- Storage Items—retrieved from our off-site facility and will generally be delivered within 24 hours, M-F only.
- Circ Desk/Request—retrieved from closed stacks every two hours from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., 7 days per week.
- In Processing—not currently available for checkout for various reasons. Generally, if requested, they can be made available in 2-5 days.
- On Order—currently being purchased by the library and are not yet available.
- SpecColl/Storage—will be held in Special Collections and must be used during Special Collections & Archives hours.
- Items from the UNH Manchester collection
For recalls and requests, books are usually held for patrons for ten days and media items are held for seven days.
Contact the Circulation Desk in Dimond Library by phone (603) 862-3125 if you have any questions about recalls or requests.