Guide to the Accession records, 1892-1950
Collection number: UA 3/4/1
Size: 2 boxes
About the College and University Library
The first library in Durham was organized in 1862 as the Durham Agricultural Library Association. This became the Durham Social Library in 1881. To receive state aid as a public library, the library was reorganized and incorporated as the Durham Library Association in 1892.
The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was originally located in Hanover, NH where it was able to utilize the resources of the Dartmouth College library. The NH College was removed to Durham in 1893, bringing with it just 3,500 books and 2000 pamphlets. Fortunately, the faculty and students were permitted to use the collections of the Durham Library Association, which had about the same number of books as the college library. The growth of the DLA kept pace with the college library and by 1903, both libraries were cramped for space.
The UNH president opened negotiations to arrange for a merger of the Durham and College libraries. In 1906, an agreement combining all library resources in Durham was signed; an agreement that lasted 90 years. The state, the Carnegie Corp. and a bequest from a wealthy Durham resident, provided funding for a building. The new library was dedicated in June 1907 in connection with the commencement exercises, but the building was not ready for use until the following November. The books from the Durham Library Association were transferred to the new building in Jan. 1908.
The number of books transferred from the town library was around 9,000. A careful inventory was kept at the time of transfer and separate accession records were kept for the Durham Public Library and the College Library thereafter.
About the Accession Records
This series contains 15 volumes of library accessions from the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts and the Durham Library Association. It also contains the monthly report of books added to the Hamilton Smith Library between 1937 and 1944.
This collection is open.
Copyright is retained by the University of New Hampshire.
[Identification of item], Accession Records, 1892-1950, UA 3/4/1, Milne Special
Collections and Archives, University of New Hampshire Library, Durham, NH, USA.
These records have been kept in the Library since its founding.
This collection is arranged in its original order by the following series: I. New Hampshire College Library; II. Agricultural Experiment Station; III. Durham Public Library; IV. Extension Service; and V. Hamilton Smith Public Library.
Series 1: New Hampshire College Library
|Volume 1||1892-1904||Accessions 01-5000|
|Volume 2||1898-1904||Accessions 5000-10,000|
|Volume 3||1904-1908||Accessions 10,001-15,000|
|Volume 4||1908-1914||Accessions 15,001-20,000|
|Volume 5||1914-1919||Accessions 20,001-25,000|
|Volume 6||1919-1922||Accessions 25,001-30,000|
|Volume 7||1922-1925||Accessions 30,001-35,000|
|Volume 8||1925-1928||Accessions 35,001-45,000|
Series 2: Agricultural Experiment Station
|Volume 9||1908-1927||Accessions 01-5000|
Series 3: Durham Public Library
|Volume 10||1908-1928||Books recieved at transfer of the public library to the new building|
|Volume 11||January-February 1908||Accession 01-5000|
|Volume 12||1908-October 1916||Accession 5001-10,000|
|Volume 13||1916-April 1929||Accession 10,001-|
Series 4: Extension Service
Series 5: Hamilton Smith Public Library
|Volume 16||1908-1914||Withdrawl Record|
Series 6: Hamilton Smith Library
|Box 1, Folder 1||1937||Books Added|
|Box 1, Folder 2||1938||Books Added|
|Box 1, Folder 3||1939||Books Added|
|Box 1, Folder 4||1940||Books Added|
|Box 1, Folder 5||1941||Books Added|
|Box 1, Folder 6||1941-1944||Books Added|
|Box 1, Folder 7||1941-1950||Accessions: Carnegie Endowment, Durham Library Association|