Guide to the New Hampshire Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) Records, 1876-1892
Collection number: MC 323
About the New Hampshire Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.)
The Grand Army of the Republic was a fraternal organization founded in Illinois in
1866 for veterans of the Union Army and their family members. The Department of New
Hampshire, which oversaw individual posts within the state, was comprised of 95
individual posts throughout the state. The GAR ceased operations in 1956.
About the New Hampshire G.A.R. Records
This collection consists of three volumes: one from the Louis Bell Post No. 3 of
Manchester and two from the Senator Grimes Post No. 23 of Hillsborough Bridge, NH.
Included are the incorporation volumes of each post. Handwritten notes were taken by
a recorder at each meeting of each post, and then read and voted on for approval at
the opening of the next meeting. Topics include membership, benefits to veterans and
their families, political resolutions, building and maintenance of halls, holiday
events, name changes of posts, and relationship to other local fraternal
This collection is open.
Contents of this collection are governed by U.S. copyright law. For questions
about publication or reproduction rights, contact Special Collections staff.
[Identification of item], [Folder Number], [Box Number], New Hampshire Grand Army
of the Republic (G.A.R.) Records, 1876-1892, MC 323, Milne Special Collections
and Archives, University of New Hampshire Library, Durham, NH, USA.
Purchase from Carmen Valentino Rare Books, ca. 2010.
“History of memorial services conducted by Louis Bell Post No. 3, G.A.R., Manchester,
N.H., Saturday, May 29, 1880 […]” Manchester, N.H. : John B. Clarke, Printer, 1880.
Copy held at the New York Historical Society Library.
Arrangement is chronological.
|Folder 1||Louis Bell Post No. 3, Manchester (1883-1886)
This single volume dates from the founding of the post on December 27 1882
through September 22 1886, and is only 47 pages (the rest of the book is
blank). Topics include paying the debts of members, rental of the hall, and
See also the Louis and Mollie Bell Papers, MC 165, Milne Special
|Folder 2||Senator Grimes Post No. 25, Hillsborough Bridge
This is the incorporation volume for what eventually became the Senator
Grimes Post. The first entry is dated October 5 1876 and contains a vote to
name the post the Encampment Reynolds Post No. 25. In September of 1878 the
name was changed to the Pierce Post No. 25, and on the 24 August 1881 the
post settled on its final name, Senator Grimes Post No. 25 GAR. The front
half of the book is meeting notes, and the back half is more formally copied
|Folder 3||Senator Grimes Post no. 25, Hillsborough Bridge
This is probably the third volume; the years 1881-1884 are partially or
completely missing. Interesting items include pg. 111, a resolution passed
against US President Grover Cleveland for his veto of the Dependent Pension
Act of 1887, and several resolutions of sympathy to bereaved families of
veterans and members who had lost children.