Guide to the First Congregational Society Ledger, 1835-1844
Collection number: MS 249
About First Congregational Society
Great Falls Village was the former name for a part of Somersworth, New Hampshire. Another part of the town, Salmon Falls Village, became incorporated in 1849 as a separate town called Rollinsford. The First Congregational Church of Great Falls, which was the fourth meetinghouse (the first three had been destroyed by fire), was built in 1827. The earlier members of the church at Great Falls had been meeting across the river in Berwick, Maine with the pastor of the Rollinsford church until the Greek-Revival edifice was built at High and Prospect Streets. The new church grew rapidly as the center of the town’s population shifted to the falls area.
In 1934, the Congregational church became federated with the High Street Methodist Episcopal Church, meeting alternately in both churches. The High Street Methodist Episcopal Church had previously absorbed the Main Street Methodist Episcopal in the late 1800s. The federation continued until 1937 when it was voted to dissolve the Federated Church and to become the First Parish Church, Congregational occupying the former High Street Methodist Episcopal Church building. In 1961, the First Parish Church voted to become a member congregation of the United Church of Christ, and so changed its name to read: First Parish United Church of Christ, (Congregational). For a variety of reasons, the High Street building was sold in 1983, the decision being made two years previous to seek out another location and to build a new church building that would better meet the needs of a changing congregation. The new church building is on West High Street.
About the First Congregational Society Ledger
This folio lists the income and expenses of the First Congregational Society from
1835-1844, including the names of its various donors and subscribers. The book is
divided into three parts: "Folio" (pp. 1-22), "Cash Book" (pp. 118-180), and
"Ledger" (pp. 200-218). Pages between these sections are blank.
This collection is open.
Contents of this collection are governed by U.S. copyright law. For questions
about publication or reproduction rights, contact Special Collections staff.
Copyright is retained by the University of New Hampshire.
First Congregational Society Ledger, 1835-1844, MS 249, Milne Special Collections
and Archives, University of New Hampshire Library, Durham, NH, USA.
Purchased: Charles Apfelbaum, dealer, Watchung, NJ, Nov. 2009 (Accession number: