Daniel Fowle (1715-1787)
Daniel Fowle was born in Boston, where he maintained a printing shop for several years until he was arrested on a charge of libel against the government of Massachusetts. With the encouragement of several gentlemen in Portsmouth, he removed his printing press to New Hampshire in July 1756. In October of that same year, he began printing the first newspaper in New Hampshire, The New Hampshire Gazette which he ran from October 7, 1756-June 1785.
Clicking the images below shows a higher resolution version.
In September 1764, Fowle entered into partnership with his nephew, Robert Fowle, an arrangement that held until 1774 when differences in political opinions caused their separation. During the Revolutionary War, Benjamin Dearborn, who had been an apprentice under Fowle, published the newspaper and changed its name to The Freeman’s Journal. After a few years, Fowle returned as publisher of the paper and continued until 1785 when he relinquished control to Melchor & Osborne, who published it for several years.
Daniel Fowle printed the first book in New Hampshire, Jonathan Parsons’ collection of seven sermons, entitled Good News from a Far Country, in 1756. The first printed individual sermon was Reverend Samuel Langdon’s The Excellency of the Word of God, delivered on the occasion of the ordination of the Reverend Mr. McClintock in Greenland, New Hampshire on November 3, 1756 and printed that same year.
Fowle also took commissions from the government and printed a small number of almanacks and other pamphlets for sale in his shop, examples of which are shown below.