83 boxes (30 cu. ft.)
About the Durham, New Hampshire Town Records
Selectmen’s Records, 1732-1926: These records – dating from 1732 to 1923 – contain various and considerable information about the town of Durham. They include numerous receipts, information on road, bridge, and building construction, meeting records, tax lists, writs, poor relief, voting lists, and other materials relating to the governance of the town. (23 boxes; 1 oversize)
Tuesday Afternoon Club Records, 1894-1993: Mrs. Charles Pettee and Mrs. Scott started the Tuesday Afternoon Club in 1894 for the “mutual improvement and social enjoyment of its members.” The club was (and is) a literary and charitable society that meets on the first and third Tuesday of each month of the academic year. The collection contains meeting minutes, programs, financial records, the organization’s constitution, numerous photographs, and thank you letters from German women who received packages sent to Berlin by the Tuesday Afternoon Club during 1954-1955. (3 boxes)
Scammell Grange (Durham, N.H.) Records, 1857-1981: The Scammell Grange (No. 122) was organized and incorporated in 1887 as a subordinate of the National Grange. In 1893 they purchased a building in downtown Durham, where they resided until selling the building to the town in 1981. The collection contains secretary and treasurer’s records, meeting minutes, membership information, correspondence with the Knights of Pythias, and various legal records. (6 boxes)
Fire Department Records, 1964-1975: The records of the Durham Fire Department contain several log books that document calls for fires (real and false) and telephone dispatches. Also included are several scrapbooks that contain photographs and newspaper clippings relating to the town’s fire department from 1956-1975. (3 boxes)
Libraries Records, 1815-1920: Over the years the people of Durham have created several libraries:
Durham Social Library (1815-1857?): This library was incorporated by act of the N.H. State Legislature in 1815. The library contained several hundred books and had a membership numbering nearly 50. The Special Collections Department maintains nearly 200 books from this early library as well as a single manuscript volume that contains a catalog list of the collection, accession records, circulation records, and membership information. (see Series V – Box 1 folder 1)
Durham Agricultural Library (1862-1881): Formed Feb. 3, 1862 with Benjamin Thompson as President, this library was small (approximately 72 books) and vocationally-based. (see Series V – Box 4 folder 5) Durham Social Library (1881-1892): Organized March 9, 1881, the library had a membership of 80 and several hundred books. In 1883 the Richardson house was purchased to house the library. It eventually merged with the Durham Public Library. Several bound volumes make up this collection. They contain accession records, membership lists, catalogs of books, and circulation records.
Durham Public Library (1892-1906): Established in 1892 through the provisions of a N.H. state act, this was the town’s first “public” library. It contained more than 3,500 books and eventually merged with the the library of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts.
Library of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts (1893- ): Came to Durham with the arrival of the College in 1893. Initially, the College housed the library in a single room in Thompson Hall. In 1900 Hamilton Smith gave the University $10,000 to construct a library, another $20,000 was obtained from Andrew Carnegie. In 1907 – a year after the town and the college agreed to merge their collective library resources – the building (Hamilton Smith Hall) was completed. (5 boxes)
Durham Community Church Records, 1752-1973: The history of the Congregational Church in Durham began in 1655, when the people of Oyster River first agreed to build a meetinghouse and pay for the support of a minister. For centuries the church has been an important part of community life: a place of gathering and socializing, an organizer of community and charitable events, a moral judge of its congregation, and a source of pride for the people of Durham. The records of this collection include annual reports and treasurer’s accounts, meeting minutes and programs, historical sketches of the church and its ministers, and materials from church-based organizations like the Durham Men’s Club, the Women’s Guild, and the Ladies’ Aid Society. (9 boxes) See also Church Records and Boxes 37 and 38 in the Thompson Family Papers.
First Christian Church (Durham, N.H.) Records, 1819-1864: Organized through the efforts of Rev. William Demeritt on December 4, 1819, the First Christian Church held its first meetings in private houses and an old school house. The members of the church erected and dedicated a brick meetinghouse in 1825. The First Christian Church was incorporated in 1850 and soon there after gradually declined to only a few members. By the 1880s the church ceased services. The meetinghouse and adjoining lands were sold to the town’s school district at auction in 1889. Special Collections maintains a record book that documents committees, meetings, and membership of the First Christian Church. (1 volume)
Woman’s Club of Durham Records, 1896-1990: Helen Murkland, wife of college president Charles Sumner Murkland, organized the Woman’s Club of Durham in September 1896. The group functioned on the principle that it should “foster a spirit of service and be a power for good in the community.” Within two years of organization, the Woman’s Club had more than 55 members. The Club was involved in numerous civic-improvement projects (putting up street signs, Post Office murals), the beautification of the Durham area (general cleanup projects, Garden Club), charitable fund drives, and efforts for both World Wars and the Red Cross. The collection contains meeting minutes and tresurer’s reports, information from various departments and associated groups of the Club (the Art & Literature Dept., the History Dept., the Music Dept., the Mothercraft Group, etc.), recipe books, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, and other related materials. (8 boxes; 11 oversize)
Post Office Records, 1813-1847: The establishment of the first post office in Durham, NH was due in great part to the New Hampshire Turnpike Road, which was built in 1791 and stretched from Portsmouth to Concord. Benjamin Thompson served as the first appointed postmaster (1796). During the early years the post office moved to and from any number of locations within the town. The post office records primarily contain the records of 4th and 5th postmasters, George Ffrost, Sr. & Jr.. They include numerous accounts that detail the delivery and sending of letters, pamphlets, and newspapers, various official correspondence, and several histories of the post office in Durham. Also included is an account book maintained by Benjamin Underwood Lapish, the 3rd postmaster of Durham (1808). (1 box; 4 oversize)
Miscellaneous Records, 1791-1976: This collection contains information about various groups and organizations in Durham (League of Women Voters, Durham Historic Association), various histories that document places, events and people in the town’s history, typed transcriptions of the town’s records, and miscellaneous historical documents. (6 boxes; 1 oversize)
Photographs (mostly undated): The collection mainly consists of photographs of old houses and various notable locations in Durham, many of which are identified by exhibit captions. Also included, are a number of postcards and some images of people. The collection is largely a gift of the History Department of the Woman’s Club, who gathered the pictures over a period of several years. (4 boxes; 1 oversize)
- Selectmen’s Records
- Tuesday Afternoon Club
- Record Journals
- Scammell Grange (Durham, N.H.)
- Fire Department
- Church Records
- Durham Community Church
- First Christian Church (Durham, N.H.)
- Woman’s Club of Durham (N.H.)
- General Records
- Post Office Records
- Various Records
- Transcriptions of Durham Town Records, 1732-1841
I. DURHAM (N.H.) SELECTMEN'S RECORDSBOX 1 1732-1789 (25 folders). BOX 2 1790-1796 (17 folders). BOX 3 1797-1803 (15 folders). BOX 4 1804-1812 (15 folders). BOX 5 1813-1816 (15 folders). BOX 6 1817-1819 (14 folders). BOX 7 1820-1821 (14 folders). BOX 8 1822-1823 (13 folders). BOX 9 1824-1826 (14 folders). BOX 10 1827-1828 (12 folders). BOX 11 1829-1832 (14 folders). BOX 12 1833-1838 (16 folders). BOX 13 1839-1843 (16 folders). BOX 14 1844-1850 (18 folders). BOX 15 1851-1856 (17 folders). BOX 16 1857-1859 (14 folders). BOX 17 1860-1864 (19 folders). BOX 18 1865-1870 (11 folders). BOX 19 1871-1875 (12 folders). BOX 20 1876-1884 (16 folders). BOX 21 1885-1891 (16 folders). BOX 22 1892-1903 (21 folders). BOX 23 1904-1926, undated and miscellaneous materials (33 folders). OVSZ 1. Account: Selectmen to Robert Lapish, 1791. BOX 1 2. Account: "Boston," 1832-1862. 3. List of voters, 1834. 4. Account: Durham to George Frost, 1839. 5. Petition: "Aid to Ireland & Scotland," 1847. 6. List of voters, 1848. 7. List of voters, 1857. 8. Accounts of the Town Farm, 1859. 9. Notice: Town meeting, 23 Feb. 1861.
II. TUESDAY AFTERNOON CLUB
A. Record JournalsBOX 1 f.1 Nov. 1910-June 1915. f.2 1923-1932. f.3 Constitution of May 17, 1927 (from Records Journal, 1923-1932). f.4 1932-1938. f.5 Book I, 1945-1951. f.6 Book II, 1950-1951. f.7 Book III, 1953-1955. f.8 Correspondence from the front of Book III. f.9 Book IV, 1955-1956. f.10 Book V, 1957-1958. f.11 Book VI, 1959-1962. f.12 Book VII, Jan. 15, 1963-June 21, 1966. BOX 2 f.1 Book VIII, June 1966-Dec. 1972. f.2 Book IX, 1973-1976. f.3 Book X, 1976-1979. f.4 Book XI, 1979-1981. f.5 Book XII, 1981-May 1, 1984. f.6 Book XIII, May 15, 1984-Jan. 21, 1986. f.7 Book XIV, Feb. 4, 1986-March 6, 1990.
B. ProgramsBOX 3 f.1 Programs, 1895-1955. f.2 Programs, 1955-1976. f.3 Programs, 1976-1983. f.4 Programs, 1983-1993.
C. Miscellaneousf.5 Constitutions of the Tuesday Afternoon Club: 1927, 1938?, 1948, 1955, 1962, 1988, 1991. f.6 Early history. f.7 Financial records, 1918-1930. f.8 Letters from German friends of the Tuesday Afternoon Club, 1955. f.9 Miscellaneous items.
D. Photographsf.10 "The Spinsters of Leishe, England, 1812," a play performed May 2, 1933. f.11 Various snapshots, 1979-1983. f.12 Christmas party, Dec. 16, 1986. f.13 Meeting, April 1988. f.14 100th Anniversary of the the Tuesday Afternoon Club, March 1, 1994.
III. SCAMMELL GRANGE (DURHAM, N.H.)BOX 1 f.1 Secretary's Records, 1887-1889. f.2 Secretary's Records, Dec. 1889-Dec. 1893. f.3 Account Book, 1891-1901. f.4 Secretary's Records, Jan. 1894-Dec. 1899. f.5 Secretary's Records, 1897-1906. f.6 Secretary's Minutes, Jan. 1900-May 1905. f.7 Account Book, 1902-1930. BOX 2 f.1 Secretary's Record, May 1905-Feb. 1911. f.2 Secretary's Minutes, Feb 1911-Dec. 1918. f.3 Secretary's Minutes, Jan. 1919-March 1924. f.4 Secretary's Minutes, April 1924-Dec. 1931. f.5 Secretary's Minutes, 1932-Oct. 1934. f.6 Account Book, 1932-1959. f.7 Record Book - Secretary's Report, March 1935-June 1938. BOX 3 f.1 Record Book - Secretary's Report, 1938-June 1948. f.2 Record Book - Secretary's Report, June 1938-March 1941. f.3 Record Book - Secretary's Report, March 1941-Feb. 1944. f.4 Record Book - Secretary's Report, March 1944-Dec. 1947. f.5 Record Book - Secretary's Report, 1948-1958. f.6 Record Book - Secretary's Report, Jan. 1948-August 1952. BOX 4 f.1 Record Book - Secretary's Report, Sept. 1952-March 1957. f.2 Record Book - Secretary's Report, April 1957-Nov. 1961. f.3 Record Book - Secretary's Report, 1958-1968. f.4 Treasurer's Account, 1958-1969. f.5 Record Book, Nov. 1961-Oct. 1966. BOX 5 f.1 Record Book, Nov. 1966-Nov. 1971. f.2 Treasurer's Account, 1969-1975. f.3 Record Book, Nov. 1971-1976. BOX 6 f.1 Inventory of the Collection. f.2 First land purchase, 1857. f.3 By-laws & incorporation, 1887. f.4 Record of organization. f.5 Articles of association & land purchase from Durham School, 1893. f.6 Correspondence & committee with the Knights of Pythias, 1897. f.7 Records & deeds, 1898. f.8 Membership information & application, 1899-1903. f.9 Bank notices, 1904-1908. f.10 Lease of Sullivan Lodge, Knights of Phythias, 1914. f.11 "The Granite State Granger," 1974. f.12 Lease of the Scammell Grange, 1978-1981. f.13 Mortgages & loans, 1966-1983. f.14 Sale of Grange property, 1943-1981. f.15 Treasurer's accounts & receipts, 1966-1981. f.16 Ribbons & awards.
IV. DURHAM FIRE DEPARTMENTBOX 1 f.1 Meeting records, 1964-1965. f.2 Attendance & records of bi-monthly meetings, 1966-1968. f.3 Time log, Jan. 1969-Dec. 1969. f.4 Time log, Jan. 1970-Nov. 1970. f.5 Time log, Dec. 1970-Sept. 1971. f.6 Time log, Oct. 1971-July 23, 1972. f.7 Time log, July 1972-October 1973. f.8 Dispatch telephone log, 1973. BOX 2 f.1 Fire calls log, record book, 1966-1967. f.2 Fire calls log, record book, 1968. f.3 Fire calls log, record book, 1969. f.4 Fire calls log, record book, 1970. f.5 Fire calls log, record book, 1971. f.6 Fire calls log, record book, 1972. f.7 Fire calls log, record book, Jan.-April 27, 1973. f.8 Fire calls log, record book, April-Dec. 15, 1973. f.9 Fire calls log, record book, Dec. 16, 1973-July 7, 1974. BOX 3 f.1 Scrapbook of newspaper clippings & photos, 1956-1965. f.2 Scrapbook of photos, Durham fires, 1960-1974. f.3 Scrapbook of photos, mutual aid, 1966-1975.
V. LIBRARIESBOX 1 f.1 Durham Social Library, record book, catalog of holdings, accessions, and circulation, 1815-1857. f.2 Durham Social Library, by-laws and list of subscribers, 1881. f.3 Durham Agricultural Library, list of proprietors, n.d. f.4 Durham Library Association, "Catalogue of the Durham Social Library," n.d. (ca. 1885). f.5 Durham Library Association, catalog, 1890. f.6 Durham Library Association, catalog of books (vol. 1). f.7 Durham Library Association, catalog of books (vol. 2). f.8 Durham Library Association, catalog. BOX 2 f.1 Durham Library Association, catalog - fiction. f.2 Durham Library Association, circulation records, 1881- 1889. f.3 Durham Library Association, circulation records, 1892. f.4 Durham Library Association, contract with the town of Durham, 1893. f.5 Durham Library Association, contract with the town of Durham & the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts to consolidate the town's libraries, 1906. f.6 Durham Library Association, delinquent stockholders, 1895. f.7 Durham Library Association, list of members, n.d. f.8 Durham Library Association, records, 1892-1907. BOX 3 f.1 Durham Library Association, records, vol. 2. f.2 Durham Library Association, stock book, 1893-1907. f.3 Durham Library Association, treasurer's book, 1881-1908 f.4 Durham Library Association, treasurer's records (v. 2). f.5 Durham Public Library, records, secretary (vol. 1). f.6 Durham Public Library, records, treasurer (vol. 2). BOX 4 f.1 Durham Public Library, accession & circulation records (vol. 3). f.2 Durham Public Library, records, Committee on Building & Appurtenances (vol. 4). f.3 Durham Public Library, Committee on Account & Finance (vol 5). f.4 Durham Public Library, records, town funds (vol. 6). f.5 Miscellaneous, record book containing transcriptions of information relating to the Durham Agricultural Library Association and the Durham Social Library (organized 1881). f.6 Miscellaneous, "Durham Libraries," a brief history. f.7 Miscellaneous, Cushing, Helen Grant, "A Library Survey of the Town of Durham," 1920. f.8 Miscellaneous, deeds for Durham Library Association land, 1877-1936. BOX 5 f.1 Durham Library Association, circulation records, 1881- 1887.
VI. CHURCH RECORDS
A. Durham Community ChurchBOX 1 f.1 Adams, Hugh (Reverend), miscellaneous notes on. f.2 Annual report, 1897. f.3 Annual report, 1898. f.4 Annual report, 1899. f.5 Annual report, 1900. f.6 Annual report, 1901. f.7 Annual report, 1902. f.8 Annual report, 1904. f.9 Annual report, 1905. f.10 Annual report, 1906. f.11 Annual report, 1907. f.12 Annual report, 1955. f.13 Annual report, 1957. f.14 "Articles of Admission to the Congregational Church in Durham, N.H., 1827." f.15 Beard, William S. (Reverend) and Telesphere Taisure (Reverend), biographical sketches by Augusta J. Edgerly, n.d. f.16 Broadhead, Reverend John & Abel Cutler, 1810-1811. f.17 Burt, Federal, 1826-1829. f.18 "A Chronological History of the Church," Marian E. Mills, 1960. f.19 Church and college co-operate, 1908. f.20 Committees and teachers, list, 1909. f.21 Complaints against and repentence of Ebenezer Parsons, 1818. f.22 Confession of faith, 1808. f.23 Durham Men's Club, meeting list, 1930-1939. BOX 2 f.1 Durham Men's Club, reports of secretary - treasurer, 1940-1946. f.2 Durham Men's Club, by-laws and resolutions. f.3 Durham Men's Club, meeting minutes, 1920-1921. f.4 Durham Men's Club, proposed road sign for Durham, 1932. f.5 "The Durham Pageant," 200th anniversary of the church, 1919. f.6 "The Durham Pageant," service, letters and address, 1919. f.7 Ecclesiastical council, 1844. f.8 "Ecumenical - In Minature," Emerson G. Hangen, 1946. f.9 "Historical Articles," from the Manchester Union Leader: 1923 - Church enlargement. 1924 - Dedication. f.10 "Historical Sketch of the Congregational Church in Durham, N.H.," ca. 1900. f.11 History committee, 300th anniversary, 1955. f.12 Invitations to Church Council meetings, 1851-1862. f.13 "Journey from Scrooby," a dramatized historical narrative, 1955. f.14 Lovell, Dr. Moses (Reverend), biographical sketch by Vella M. Smart, n.d. f.15 Manual of the Congregational Church, 1895. f.16 Marriage intentions, 1804-1859. f.17 Minutes (v. 1), 1854-1879. BOX 3 f.1 Minutes (v. 2), 1868-1908. f.2 Records, Jan. 1, 1917-Jan. 1, 1930. f.3 Old Meetinghouse and parsonage, 1781-1827. f.4 Pettee, Charles H. (Dean), correspondence, 1887-1895. f.5 "A plea for the better care of kitchen equipment," 1910? f.6 Proceedings of the committee to build a meetinghouse, 1792 (transcription). f.7 Programs, miscellaneous events. f.8 Reports for the Church fairs, 1923-1926. f.9 Scrapbook: 300th anniversary, kept by Mrs. O.V. Henderson, 1913-1955. BOX 4 f.1 Sunday School, 1923. f.2 Surrender of pews, 1893. f.3 Tobey, Alvan (Reverend), biographical sketch by Carl Lundholm, 1945. f.4 Tobey, Alvan (Reverend), correspondence to, 1842-1847. f.5 Tobey, Alvan (Reverend), correspondence to the church. f.6 Tobey, Alvan (Reverend), invitations to church councils, 1840-1856. f.7 Tobey, Alvan (Reverend), school committee, 1845-1865. f.8 Treasurer's accounts, 1884-1895. f.9 Treasurer's records, 1889-1909. f.10 Treasurer's report, 1907. f.11 Durham Missionary Society, 1895-1929. f.12 Ladies' Aid Society of Durham, 1909-1920. f.13 Ladies' Aid Society of Durham, 1920-1922. f.14 Ladies' Aid Society of Durham, treasurer's book, 1923-1933. f.15 Ladies' Aid Society of Durham, 1923-1929 and Women's Guild, 1929-1937. BOX 5 f.1 Women's Guild, minutes, 1937-1947. f.2 Women's Guild, minutes, 1947-1957. f.3 Women's Guild, minutes, 1957-1961. f.4 Women's Guild, minutes, 1961-1962. f.5 Women's Guild, minutes, 1963-1973. f.6 Women's Guild, treasurer's book, 1937-1944. BOX 6 f.1 Women's Guild, constitution, 1929? f.2 Women's Guild, constitution and bylaws, 1934. f.3 Women's Missionary Society of Durham, N.H., 1895-1911. BOX 7 f.1 Adams, John (Reverend): Letter of calling & settling, 1752. f.2 Church bulletin, 1958-9. f.3 Coe, Curtis (Reverend): Receipts, salary payments, dismissal, 1779-1812. f.4 Congregational church committee, 1841. f.5 Congregational church property, 1829. f.6 Congregational Society, 1824-1875. f.7 Contract for repairs to the Congregational church, 1906. f.8 Expelled members, 1827-1847. f.9 Invitations to installations and ordinations, 1817- 1843. f.10 Invitations to installations and ordinations, 1844- 1865. f.11 Membership transfers, 1817-1857. f.12 Meserve, Winthrop Smith, correspondence, 1855-1868. f.13 Miscellaneous church records. BOX 8 f.1 New Meetinghouse, building dedication, 1848. f.2 Records, 1779-1829 (transcription). f.3 Records, 1779-1894 (transcription). f.4 Records, 1833-1894 (transcription). f.5 Records, 1893-1901 (trnscription). f.6 Report of Pulpit Fund, 1920. f.7 Steele, Richard vs. Abraham Perkins (Deacon), 1829. f.8 Tobey, Alvan (Reverend), accounts, 1844-1847. BOX 9 f.1 Treasurer's ledger, 1896-1915. f.2 Treasurer's ledger, loose papers, 1896-1915.
B. First Christian Church (Durham, N.H.)f.3 First Christian Church (Durham, N.H.), record book, 1819-1864.
VII. WOMAN'S CLUB OF DURHAM (N.H.)
A. General RecordsBOX 1 f.1 Anniversary celebration (50th), 1946. f.2 Anniversary celebration (60th), 1956. f.3 Anniversary celebration (65th), 1961. f.4 Anniversary celebration (75th), 1972. f.5 Annual reports, 1929-1946. f.6 Annual reports, 1945-1955. f.7 Annual reports, 1955-1960. f.8 Annual reports, 1960-1970. f.9 Annual reports, 1970-1971. f.10 Annual reports, 1980-1982. BOX 2 f.1 Art and Literature Dept., 1914-1924. f.2 Art and Literature Dept., 1924-1936. f.3 Art and Literature Dept., treasurer's book, 1926-1946. f.4 Art and Literature Dept., 1946-1963. f.5 Art Needlework Dept., 1914-1922. f.6 Art Needlework Dept., 1922-1932. f.7 Art Needlework Dept., 1932-1938. f.8 Art Needlework Dept., 1939-1946. BOX 3 f.1 Art Needlework Dept., 1946-1956. f.2 Citations (mostly for civic improvement), 1960-1989. f.3 Civic Committee, 1924-1954. f.4 Community Church of Durham, correspondence and rental agreements. f.5 Constitutions and by-laws. f.6 Endowment Fund and Memory Books Committee. f.7 Fine Arts Dept., 1936-1944. f.8 Fine Arts Dept., 1964-1984. f.9 Griffiths, M. Effie, book of poetry, ca. 1924. f.10 Historians' reports, 1939-1959. f.11 "History," the first paper given at a Woman's Club of Durham meeting, by Ada J. Stevens, 1896. BOX 4 f.1 History Dept., Constitutional Sesquicentennial Committee, 1937. f.2 History Dept., "Portraits of Women of Durham," 50th anniversary, 1947. f.3 History Dept., secretary's records, 1935-1949. f.4 History Dept., 1949-1964. f.5 History Dept., 1986-1993. f.6 History Dept., W.H.E.B. radio program, "Life of General John Sullivan. Commemorating the 200th anniversary of his birth at Somersworth, N.H.," 17 Feb. 1940. f.7 History Dept., misc. papers, 1938-1954. f.8 History of the Woman's Club of Durham. f.9 Joint meetings of several of the women's organized groups, 1934-1946. f.10 Minutes, 1913-1917. f.11 Minutes, 1917-1924. f.12 Minutes, 1924-1926. BOX 5 f.1 Minutes, 1926-1929 (part 1). f.2 Minutes, 1926-1929 (part 2). f.3 Minutes, 1929-1940. f.4 Minutes, 1940-1950. f.5 Minutes, 1950-1960. f.6 Minutes, 1960-1970. BOX 6 f.1 Minutes, 1970-1974. f.2 Minutes, 1974-1977. f.3 Minutes, 1977-1980. f.4 Minutes, 1981-1983. f.5 Minutes, 1984-1985. f.6 Mothercraft Group, 1944-1957. f.7 Mothercraft Group, meeting minutes, 1944-1954. BOX 7 f.1 Mothercraft Group, 1950-1956. f.2 Mural project in the new Federal Building & Post Office, correspondence, records, and clippings, 1958-1959. f.3 Mural project in the new Federal Building & Post Office, records and accounts, 1959-1960. f.4 Music Dept., 1943-1944. f.5 "A Pilgrimage," 1937. f.6 Presentations and papers, various. f.7 Programs, misc. events, 1900-1941. f.8 Recipes and cookbooks, 1898-1939. f.9 Restoration of the Sullivan Cemetary, 1907. f.10 "Service to Youth, WENH - TV," 1964. f.11 "Service to Youth, WENH - TV," Youth Conference on Smoking, 1964. BOX 8 f.1 Signatures and lists of attendants at special meetings, 1925-1927. f.2 Skit for Jan. 8, 1960. f.3 Treasurer's book, 1897-1920. f.4 Treasurer's book, 1932-1949. f.5 Treasurer's reports, 1972-1990. f.6 U.N.H. Library, correspondence, 1956. f.7 Miscellaneous papers. B. Scrapbooks OVSZ Volume I, 1925-1929. BOX 1 Volume II, 1929-1934. OVSZ Volume III, 1934-1938. BOX 2 Volume IV, 1938-1942. OVSZ Volume V, 1942-1949. BOX 3 Volume VI, 1949-1956. OVSZ Volume VII, 1956-1966. BOX 4 OVSZ Volume VIII, 1966-1971. BOX 5 OVSZ Volume IX, 1971-1974. BOX 6 OVSZ Volume X, 1974-1981. BOX 7 OVSZ Volume XI, 1981-1985. BOX 8 OVSZ Memory Book I, 1920s-1980. BOX 9 OVSZ Memory Book II, 1980- . BOX 10 OVSZ Scrapbook, 1962-4 Community Improvement Program. BOX 11 Scrapbook, 1964-6 Community Improvement Program. Scrapbook, 1966-8 Community Improvement Program. Scrapbook, 1970-2 Community Improvement Program.
VIII. DURHAM (N.H.) POST OFFICE RECORDSBOX 1 f.1 Account book (kept by George Ffrost), 1813? f.2 Account book (kept by George Ffrost), 1814-1815. f.3 Account book (kept by George Ffrost), Feb. 11, 1819- Aug. 31, 1820. f.4 Account book (kept by George Ffrost), Sept. 5, 1820- Feb. 15, 1822. f.5 Account book (kept by George Ffrost), Feb. 16, 1822- Feb. 24, 1823. f.6 Account book (kept by George Ffrost), July 1, 1826- Sept. 30, 1826. f.7 Account book (kept by George Ffrost), Oct. 1, 1826- Dec. 30, 1826. f.8 Account book (kept by George Ffrost), Jan. 2, 1827- March 31, 1827. f.9 Account book (kept by George Ffrost), April 2, 1827- June 30, 1827. f.10 Account book (kept by George Ffrost), July 2, 1827- Oct. 31, 1827. f.11 Accounts and correspondence of George Ffrost, 1809- 1842. f.12 Account book (kept by Benjamin Underwood Lapish), 1808. f.13 "Early Post Offices in Durham," George D. Stevens, 1904. f.14 Newspapers, accounts of, 1833-1847. **also see OVSZ BOX 1** f.15 "Post Office and Postmasters," William Hartwell's report to the Durham Historic Association, n.d. f.16 Post-Office Laws, Instructions and Forms, Published for the Regulation of the Post Office. Washington, D.C.: Way & Gideon, 1828 (xerox copy). f.17 "Report of Kenneth Carlisle - January 1975," regarding the Durham Post Office records. OVSZ Newspapers & pamphlets, accounts of, 1829-1836. BOX 1 **also see BOX 1 folder 12** OVSZ Postal accounts, 1807-1826. BOX 2 OVSZ Postal accounts, 1829-1836. BOX 3 OVSZ Postal accounts, 1837-1846. BOX 4
A. Various RecordsBOX 1 f.1 Account of the taking of gunpowder from Fort William & Mary, 1774 (copy of an 1849 letter from Ballard Smith from an account by Capt. Bennett) with newspaper clippings from late 19th/early 20th centuries. f.2 "Adams - Sullivan House, ca. 1741," paper by Calvin Fowler, 1957. f.3 Anecdote of Mrs. E.E. Nelson (daughter of Dean C.H. Pettee), n.d. f.4 Bailey & Glines, store records, 1866-1868. f.5 "Bloody Fishing at Oyster River and Sad Work at Groton." f.6 Budget information. f.7 "Cemetery Progress," Phil Wilcox, n.d. f.8 Channell, Robert, militia and tax records, highway surveys, and militia calls, 1822-1886. f.9 Colonial Gravestone Inscriptions. f.10 Copy of property deeds (Historic American Buildings Survey?) - Bennett Place, odds and ends. f.11 Copy of property deeds (Historic American Buildings Survey?) - Giddard Mute. f.12 Copy of property deeds (Historic American Buildings Survey?) - Goddard, Robert Channell. f.13 "Copy of the Town Records of the Town of Durham, NH, Vol. I, 1732-1739," (transcription 1942). f.14 Copy, Original Town Papers of Durham, NH by Historic American Buildings Survey. f.15 "Durham in 1825," Philip Marston, n.d. f.16 Durham Historic Association, "An Act Relative to...," 19 Feb. 1953, with constitution of Association. f.17 Durham Historic Association, lantern design, 1923. f.18 Durham Historic Association, Philip M. Marston, correspondence, 1943-1946. f.19 Durham Historic Association, Phil Wilcox, correspondence, 1967-1969. f.20 Durham Players, programs and information, 1930-1931. f.21 Durham Town Dump, n.d. f.22 Durham Village Improvement Society, open letter from C.H. Pettee, 1912. f.23 "Early Industries of Durham," no author, n.d. f.24 "Early Life in Durham, NH," George D. Stevens, 1942. f.25 "Early Railroad Fatalities," Phil Wilcox, n.d. f.26 Economic and Social History of New England, 1620-1789, by William B. Weeden, notes on Durham. f.27 Garden Club of Durham, 1933-1937. f.28 A Gazetter of the State of New Hampshire, by John Farmer and Jacob B. Moore, 1823 - description of Durham. f.29 "Historical Tour of Durham" by Dorothy Wilcox, n.d. BOX 2 f.1 "A Hundred Years of Frost Family Enterprise in Durham, NH," Robert W. Lovett, 1958. f.2 "Inscriptions from Some Homestead Cemeteries and other Burial Places in Strafford County...," 1946. f.3 "Interesting Events or Actions Proposed or Passed in Durham Town Meetings, 1732-1888." f.4 "James Monroe in Durham, a brief historical sketch of the visit of James Monroe, Esq....July 18, 1817," by William Coker, 1976. f.5 League of Women Voters of Durham, correspondence, etc., 1930-1937. f.6 "A List of Durham Residents Who Fought in Wars of Their Country," by Arthur P. Stewart, 1954. f.7 Marriages & Funerals in Durham, kept by H.L. Talbot, 1873-1903. f.8 Marriages, births, and financial records, 1856-1884. f.9 Norton, Rebecca, last will and testment, 1852. f.10 "Oyster River Creamery Company." f.11 "Piscataqua Bridge," Philip Marston, 1963. f.12 "Prominent Persons of Durham," Oren V. Henderson, 1944. f.13 Scammell, Colonel Alexander, biographical information. f.14 Schools, construction, 1908-1909. f.15 Schools, Durham Academy, 1817. f.16 Schools, formation of the 1st kindergarten, 1917. f.17 Schools, records, history and programs. f.18 Smith, Joshua B., biographical information, ca. 1923. f.19 "Some Old Houses in Durham," n.d. f.20 "The Spirit of '76," Phil Wilcox, 1976. f.21 "Trade by Water," Helen Brett, 1959. f.22 Turnpike Road, records & accounts, 1791. **for maps see OVSZ BOX 1** **also see Series IX, BOX 6** f.23 Various town documents, 1932-1961. f.24 Waugh's description of Durham area and people (Historic American Buildings Survey?). f.25 "Woodman Garrison," Philip Marston.
B. Transcriptions of Durham Town Records, 1732-1841BOX 3 f.1 Original, 1732-1739. f.2 Original, volume 1, 1732-1793. f.3 Original, volume 2, 1793-1808. f.4 Original, volume 3, March 14, 1809-Nov. 1820. f.5 Original, volume 4, Oct 21, 1820-March 29, 1832. f.6 Original, volume 5, March 1832-Dec. 1841. f.7 Miscellaneous notes. BOX 4 f.1 Volume 1, draft. f.2 Volume 1, draft. f.3 Volume 1, carbon. f.4 Volume 2, carbon. f.5 Volume 3, carbon. f.6 Volume 4, part 1, carbon. BOX 5 f.1 Volume 4, part 2, carbon. f.2 Great Bay Bridge, typescript report. BOX 6 f.1 Original typescript of New Hampshire Turnpike Records. f.2 "The First New Hampshire Turnpike," Oren V. Henderson with records of the New Hampshire Turnpike, 1800-1825. f.3 ibid. f.4 Copy 2, history and records. f.5 Complete set of Turnpike records. f.6 Records, copy 4. OVSZ 1. Map of the Turnpike Road, 1791 [in orange box]. BOX 1 2. "Plan of a road laid out in Madbury, Durham, Lee, and Epping on the petition of John Dow and others, by Jeremiah Eastman, John Wingate, and Jeremiah Wilson, a committee appointed by the Court of Common Pleas, October 5, 1832." 3. Feather pen used by Gov. John G. Winant to sign "Mill Tax Bill," April 22, 1925. 4. O.V. Henderson, feather pens. 5. Miscellaneous feather pen.
X. PHOTOGRAPHSBOX 1 f.1 Lt. Col. Winborn Adams House: e.1 Lt. Col. Winborn Adams Inn built by Adams around 1750 (b&w, 3x5). e.2 "Jenkins Mill": Old mill by the dam, formerly owned by "Friend" Jenkins and originally built before 1762 as an "ordinary" by Winborn Adams (b&w, 3x5). f.2 B&M Freight House looking east, 1892 (b&w, 8x10). f.3 Bunker Garrison: e.1 Bridge Road with Bunker Garrison in the distance (b&w, 5x7). e.2 Six views of the remains of the Bunker Garrison house taken by W.S. Appleton, 1910-1911 (all b&w, 3x5). f.4. James Bunker House/Fowler House, built by James Bunker soon after 1855 (b&w, 4x7). f.5 Col. Burnham House: e.1 Col. Burham House built circa 1845. Later owned by Albert Watson; negative No. 1. (b&w, 5x7). e.2 Grave of Elizabeth Burnham. (b&w, 3x4). f.6 Chamberlin House: e.1 Chamberlin House remodeled (b&w, 6x9). e.2 Two views of the Chamberlin House front stairwell (both b&w, 5x7). e.3 James Chamberlin front stairwell, 1921 (b&w, 5x7) f.7 Chesley Garrison, intersection of Bagdad and Old Bagdad Roads, built in 1716: e.1 Chesley Garrison, western side, possibly 1920s (sepia, 6x7 and b&w, 5x7). e.2 Chesley Garrison, eastern side (sepia, 6x7 and b&w, 5x7). e.3 Chesley Garrison, eastern side, 1927, then owned by Samuel Jones, showing addition of three dormer windows (b&w, 3x5). f.8 Benjamin Chesley/Mathes House: e.1 Chesley House, n.d. Built by Benjamin Chesley and later owned by Charles Mathes, then burned. The site is now occupied by the residence of the President of the University of New Hampshire; negative No. 27 (b&w, 9x12). e.2 View of Chesley House Mill in distance (left); negative No. 29 (b&w, 7x12). e.3 Chesley/Mathes house rear view, ca 1890 (b&w, 5x7). e.4 Same shot as e.2 (sepia, 4x7). e.5 Same shot as e.2 (2 x b&w, 3x4). f.9 Philip Chesley House: e.1 Chesley House, Mill; negative No. 21 (b&w, 8x10). f.10 Stephen Chesley, Sr. e.1 Doorway of Stephen Chesley, Sr. house (b&w, 2x3). f.11 Coe-Buzzell House, 1825 e.1 The Coe-Buzzell house built by James Joy circa 1825 on site once occupied by Delta Pi Epsilon fraternity on Newmarket Road behind the old Town Hall, now the Durham Historic Association Museum (b&w, 5x7). f.12 Daniel Coleman House, n.d. (b&w, 2x3). f.13 Dr. Jonathan Crosby house, built in 1718. Later owned by Dr. Fred T. Murphy and known as the "Murphy House." Became the George Ffrost house in 1960. Two views, 1915 (both b&w, 3x5). f.14 Albert Demeritt Farm: e.1 Residence of Albert Demeritt, c.1910; negative No. 7. (b&w, 5x7). e.2 Later view of above when owned by Walter O'Kane. Now owned by the University of New Hampshire (b&w, 3x4). e.3 Staircase showing French wallpaper dating from 1809 (b&w, 3x4). e.4 Fireplace (b&w, 3x4). f.15 John Demeritt House, Madbury (sepia, 5x7). f.16 Durham Community Church, (in 1957 became the Congregational Church): e.1 The Congregational Church, ca. 1831 (b&w, 3x5). e.2 Durham Community Church, view from front (b&w, 5x7). e.3 Durham Community Church, view from back (b&w, 5x7). e.4 Durham Community Church, view from side in snow (b&w, 2.5x4). e.5 Reverend Vaughan Dabney, pastor 1916-1920 (b&w, 5x7). e.6 Rev. Vaughan Dabney pictured in pulpit (b&w, 5x7). e.7 Rev. Vaughan Dabney, deacons C.H.Pettee, A.E. Grant, O.L. Eckman, A.E. Littlehale (b&w, 5x7). e.8 Mrs. Hamilton Augustus Mathes, pictured at pulpit. She raised the money needed to restore the mahogany pulpit for the 200th anniversary exercises (b&w, 5x7). e.9 Women of the Community Church choir, 1920. Mmes. Sanders, Richards, Titsworth, Smart, Chamberlin, Pettee, Huddleston, Morgan, Grant and Hetzel (b&w, 5x7). e.10 Women of the Community Church choir, 1920. Different view of above (b&w, 5x7). e.11 Women of the Community Church choir, 1920 with Dr. Richards, director, and Rev. Dabney (b&w, 5x7). e.12 Community Church Interior (color, 3x5). f.17 Durham Public Library, c.1893 (b&w, 5x7). f.18 Durham Schools: e.1 The Village school, built in 1890. Photo taken ca. 1900 (b&w, 5x7 and 6x10). e.2 District school with children and teachers pictured in front of it, ca. 1890 (sepia, 4x7). e.3 Durham Village School after addition of second story, c.1917; negative No. 8 (b&w, 5x7). e.4 Durham Village School, c.1900; negative No. 10 (b&w, 5x7). e.5 Children outside school house, c.1900; negative No. 9 (b&w, 5x7). f.19 Ffrost Store: e.1 Ffrost store on Oyster River, Newmarket Road, n.d.; negative No. 12 (b&w, 8x12 and 8x10). f.20 Ffrost House, Valentine Hill House: e.1 Ffrost House; negative No. 13 (b&w, 8x11). e.2 Valentine Hill House c.1910 (Ffrost House) (b&w, 3x4). f.21 Prof. John M. Fuller Home on Broth Hill: e.1 View from front, March 1979 (b&w, 3x5). e.2 Another view from front taken at different time of year (b&w, 3x4). e.3 Side view (b&w, 3x4). f.22 Griffiths Farm e.1 Griffiths Farm, postcard, undated (b&w, 3x5). e.2 Griffiths Farm, postcard, dated March 20, 1912, and signed by M.E. Griffiths (b&w, 3x5). f.23 Langley house; Maillard house: e.1 Edward Langley house. Built by John Mathes at Durham Point (b&w, 3x5). e.2 William Maillard house. House built by James Bunker (b&w, 3x4). e.3 Doorway of above (b&w, 3x4). f.24 Marshall house, 1926. Built in 1806 and originally owned by Stephen Mitchell, it was first a private residence, then a boarding house, and was variously named The College Inn, the Hotel, and the Hi-Hat Club: e.1 Marshall House, c.1926; negative No. 26 (b&w, 5x7). e.2 The College Inn, 1940 (Marshall House) (b&w, 5x7). f.25 Comfort Mathes camp: e.1 Comfort Mathes Camp, Durham Point. In operation from 1911 to 1914, the camp, run by Fanny Mathes, was a summer retreat for young women. Two postcard views (one color, one b&w, both 3x5). e.2 Mathes House at Durham Point. This was the main building at Comfort Camp (b&w, 3x5). e.3 Mathes House. Once owned by Mrs. Zella Mathes, the house was built on the site of an old garrison house and was home to eleven generations of Mathes. It was later owned by Horace M. Poynter. (b&w, 3x5). f.26 Mellen house, Meserve barn: e.1 Mellen House, opposite the Durham Congregational Church (b&w, 4x6). e.2 Meserve Barn; negative No. 14, two prints (both b&w, 5x7); f.27 Meserve House on Ballard St., later owned by Beta Phi (b&w, 3x3). f.28 Nason family gathering, house in background (b&w, 5x9). f.29 Nute house, John Odiorne house doorway: e.1 Nute House at Piscataqua Bridge. Birthplace of Mrs. Joseph Smith (b&w, 3x4). e.2 Two shots of doorway of John Odiorne House (both b&w, 2x3). f.30 Oyster River: e.1 Oyster River, 1910 (b&w, 3x5). e.2 View of a bridge over the Oyster River, late 1800s? (b&w mounted, 6x7). e.3 View of Oyster River from the General Sullivan House, n.d. (b&w, mounted 6x7). e.4 Different view of a bridge over the Oyster River, late 1800s? (b&w, mounted 5x7). f.31 Oyster River: Old Mill and Dam. Two postcards (color, 3x5). f.32 Paine House, Paul House: e.1 Ralph D. Paine's house on Durham Point: Shankhassick Farm; negative No. 31 (b&w, 4x6). e.2 James Paul House, 1910 (b&w, 3x5). f.33 Pettee Block - Durham Cash Market, College Pharmacy (b&w, 5x7). f.34 Home of Hamilton Smith: e.1 Red Tower (home of Hamilton Smith); negative No. 34 (b&w, 5x7). e.2 Smith Memorial Fountain; negative No. 35 (b&w photocopy). f.35 Squire Richardson house, Gamma House; Image and postcard. (both b&w, 3x5). f.36 Runlett's Store: e.1 Runlett's Store and B&M railroad station, May 7, 1905; negative No. 36 (b&w, 4x5). e.2 Runlett's Store; negative No. 37 (b&w photocopy). f.37 Scammell Grange, No. 122., c.1918; negative No. 38 (b&w, 5x7). f.38 Cpt. Andrew Lapish Simpson & Lydia Kelley Simpson: e.1 Portraits of Captain Andrew Lapish Simpson & Lydia Kelley Simpson, ca. 1865 (both b&w, 2x4). e.2 The parsonage, built by Captain Simpson in 1840, c.1910. (b&w, 3x5). f.39 Smith: e.1 Ebenezer Smith house, front hall stairs; 2 views. (both b&w, 3x5 and 5x7). e.2 Two views of house built by Major Daniel Smith in 1803 (both b&w, 5x7). e.3 Ebenezer Smith House and doorway, 1910 (3 views, all b&w, two 4x6, one 3x4). e.4 Inn of Master John Smith, built soon after 1700 (b&w, 6x9). e.5 Mary E. Smith, Durham librarian 1893 (b&w, 4x5) (see Box 2 f.24 for daguerrotype from which this print was made). e.6 Doorway of Judge Valentine Smith House (b&w, 2x3). f.40 Sullivan house: e.1 General John Sullivan House, n.d. Two views, one from further away (both b&w, 5x7). e.2 Sullivan House, view from other side of house; Two views (b&w, 5x7 and 3x4). e.3 Same view as above, but before repairs, 1910 (b&w, 4x6). e.4 Postcard of house from front before repairs, n.d; similar to negative No. 40 (b&w, 3x4). e.5 Postcard of Sullivan Slave House (so-called). Possibly it was Sullivan's law office. View from one corner (b&w, 3x4). e.6 Another view of the house, n.d.; negative No. 41 (b&w, 5x7). e.7 Sullivan Slave House, view from front with man in doorway [b&w, 4x5]). e.8 Interior of Sullivan House, stairway (b&w, 3x4). e.9 View of Sullivan graveyard and gateway to same (both b&w, 3x5), gravestone of Gen. John Sullivan and wife Margery (taken by W.S. Appleton, 1920) (b&w, 3x4), and two views of the Sullivan monument (b&w, 3x4; and two postcards, color, 4x6). e.10 Two postcards of the Sullivan house (color, 4x6). f.41 Thompson: Ben; Ebenezer; George; Lucien; Mary P.; John: e.1 Ben Thompson House, ca 1890 (b&w, 4x7). e.2 Same view of house, but taken at a later date; negative No. 51 (b&w, 5x7). e.3 House built by Judge Ebenezer Thompson after 1694, n.d. but probably late 1800s. Lucien Thompson standing in front of house (b&w, 5x7). e.4 Another view of house taken at a later date, 1927 (b&w, 3x5). e.5 George Thompson House (Red House Farm), Durham Point Road, built in 1825. 1910 (b&w, 4x6). e.6 George Thompson House, different view (b&w, 4x6). e.7 Lucien Thompson house (b&w, 5x7). e.8 Mary P. Thompson House, built before 1837. 1910 (b&w, 4x6). e.9 Dea. John E. Thompson house (b&w, 5x7). f.42 Wentworth Garrison, postcard (b&w, 4x6). f.43 Lemuel Woodman house; Woodman Garrison: e.1 Lemuel Woodman house, (b&w, 5x7). e.2 Woodman Garrison before the fire (b&w, 4x6 and three postcards, 4x6). e.3 Woodman Garrison; negative No. 49 (same shot as above, b&w, 7x12). e.4 Woodman Garrison, different view; negative No. 50 (b&w, 8x12). f.44 Yeaton-Runlett House, Dover Road, built pre-1846 (b&w photo postcard, 4x6 and b&w print, 5x7). f.45 Town Pound: e.1 Durham town pound, built ca. 1700, rebuilt 1868, restored 1908 (b&w, 3x4). e.2 Town pound (b&w, 5x7). e.3 Different view, same period as above (b&w, 5x7). e.4 Different view, earlier (b&w, 3x5). e.5 Different view, (b&w, 5x7). BOX 2 f.1 Panorama of Main St. looking toward Mill Rd. from Thompson Hall tower, ca. 1893: e.1 Main St. and Garrison Ave., Ballard Hall and Dr. Grant's house; negative No. 18 (b&w, 8x10). e.2 Main St. and Ballard St.; negative No. 22 (b&w, 4x8). e.3 Mill Road house and former Durham creamery; negative No. 20 (b&w, 8x10). f.2 Panorama of Main St. looking toward Nesmith Hall, ca. 1893. Whitchet's Barn, Nesmith Hall, Runlett Store, Meserve coal yard and train station; negative No. 30 (b&w photocopy). f.3 Main St., Dover Rd., Newmarket Rd. intersection, Oyster River Tavern, Belle Mathes house, ca. 1896; Town Hall triangle (b&w, 4x6). f.4 Main St. business district, ca. 1930: e.1 Durham business district, ca. 1926; negative No. 11 (2 views, b&w, 5x7 and 4x6). e.2 Durham, Mill Rd. and Main St. triangle, ca. 1935? (b&w, 5x5). f.5 Main St. looking northwest, Morrill hall on left; negative No. 23 (b&w, 5x7). f.6 McDaniel field, September 1897; President's house [Mathes house] and Charles Wentworth house (b&w, 5x7). f.7 Newmarket Rd., Oyster River bridge, Ffrost house, Runlett house, Jenkins mill, ca. 1897 (b&w, 8x14). f.8 Newmarket Rd., Oyster River bridge, Jenkins mill, Rundlett house, ca. 1910; negative No. 16 (b&w, 8x10). f.9 Newmarket Rd., site of Ffrost store: e.1 Photo ca. 1910; negative No. 17 (b&w, 8x10). f.10 Newmarket Rd. (non 108), Mill Pond, Oyster River bridge; negative No. 15 (b&w, 8x10). f.11 Durham Men's Club, first meeting, 1917: e.1 Group photo; 4 prints (all b&w, 5x7). e.2 Same group photo and 2 keys (b&w, 5x7). f.12 "Indian Stone" in Lee cemetary, wall painting in Hill house, unidentified boat dock: e.1 "Indian Stone" in Lee cemetary (b&w, 3x4). e.2 Wall painting in Hill house (b&w, 4x6). e.3 Unidentified boat dock (b&w, 5x7). f.13 Postcards, including Dover Point Bridge (four b&w, one color). f.14 Daguerreotype of Mary Smith, ca. 1893 with copy negative and proof. BOX 3 NEGATIVES No. 1 James W. Burnham residence (flex neg.) No. 2 Burnham family (glass neg.) No. 3 Congregational Church and Vestry, ca. 1892 (copy neg.) No. 4 Community Church, vestry separate from church (glass neg.) No. 5 Community Church (glass neg.) No. 6 Community Church interior, ca. 1923? (glass neg.) No. 7 Residence of Albert DeMeritt (copy neg.) No. 8 Durham School house, on site of Brick Meeting House (glass neg.) No. 9 School House, ca. 1900-1910, with children standing outside (glass neg.) No. 10 Durham Village School, ca. 1900 (glass neg.) No. 11 Durham business district, 1926 (flex neg.) No. 12 Ffrost Store on Oyster River (flex neg.) No. 13 Ffrost Store before 1900 (flex neg. and copy neg.) No. 14 Meserve Barn (glass neg.) No. 15 Newmarket Rd., view looking towards Newmarket (glass neg.) No. 16 Newmarket Rd. Oyster River bridge, Jenkins Mill, Runlett house, ca. 1910 (glass neg.) No. 17 Newmarket Rd., site of Ffrost Store, ca. 1910 (glass neg. and copy neg.) No. 18 Panorama of Main St. and Garrison Ave., Ballard Hall, Dr. Grant's house (flex neg.) No. 19 Panorama of Main St. (flex neg.) No. 20 Panorama view toward Mill Rd. (flex neg.) No. 21 Panoramic view; church spire in distance, Tower Tavern, Chesley house Mill Rd., ca. 1900, taken from T-Hall tower (glass neg.) No. 22 Intersection of Main St. and Ballard, ca. 1904 (glass neg.) No. 23 Main St., looking northwest, Morrill Hall on left (glass neg.) No. 24 Main St., looking northwest (glass neg.) No. 25 Map of Durham, April 1901 (flex neg.) No. 26 Marshall House, photo by C. Moran (flex neg.) No. 27 Chesley/Mathes house (flex neg.) No. 28 Parlor of President's house, former Mathes house (flex neg.) No. 29 Mathes house and stone wall, ca. 1890 (flex neg.) No. 30 Meserve coal yard and train station, panorama (flex neg.) No. 31 Ralph D. Paine's house, "Shankhassic" (glass neg.) No. 32 Ralph D. Paine on Durham Point, "Shankhassic" (glass neg.) No. 33 Rand Store front and Scony Gas pumps, ca. 1930 (flex neg.) No. 34 Red tower, Hamilton Smith house (glass neg.) No. 35 Smith Memorial Fountain (glass neg.) No. 36 Runlett store and B&M station, ca. 1905 (glass neg.) No. 37 Runlett's store (glass neg.) No. 38 Scammell Grange, no. 122 (glass neg.) No. 39 Scammell Grange, no. 122 (glass neg.) No. 40 Sullivan house (glass neg.) No. 41 Sullivan slave house (flex neg.) No. 42 Sullivan house and slave (cook) house (glass neg.) No. 43 Sullivan house and slave (cook) house - side view (glass neg.) No. 44 Sullivan Monument; house visible in background; granite posts mark outline of third meetinghouse (glass neg.) No. 45 Sullivan "cook house" and home (glass neg.) No. 46 Sullivan Monument, dedicated 1894; observer unknown (glass neg.) No. 47 Sullivan Monument and crowd (glass neg.) No. 48 Sullivan Monument; crowd at dedication, Sept. 27, 1894 (glass neg.) No. 49 Woodman garrison (flex neg.) No. 50 Woodman garrison, ca. 1890 (flex neg.) No. 51 Ben Thompson's house (flex neg.) No. 52 Great Bay? (glass neg.) OVSZ e.1 Coe-Buzzell House. BOX 1 e.2 Benjamin Chesley House (2 photographs). e.3 Woodman Garrison (2 photographs). e.4 Sullivan House, slave quarters. e.5 Oyster River at high tide. e.6 Boston and Maine Freight House, Runlett's Store; May 8, 1905. e.7 Mathes House (later President's house), ATO, 1892 e.8 Parlor of President's house [Mathes]; negative No. 28 (2 photographs). e.9 Unidentified landscape, Oyster River at Adams Point? e.10 Pagoda on Oyster River at Adams Point. e.11 Main Street, Town Hall Square, ca. 1895. e.12 Church and Vestry, ca. 1892; negative No. 3. e.13 Smith Garrison.