The mission of the University Museum is to develop, maintain, exhibit, and interpret historical objects and property that relate to the history of UNH and its alumni. These collections preserve the memory of the University's past and perpetuate its traditions and ideals.
The museum features two exhibitions per year highlighting different aspects of UNH history as well as its current activities. Exhibits include a variety of artifacts, photographs, documents, and memorabilia drawn from the museum, the university archive collections, and from the Special Collections.
History of the Museum
The first museum dedicated to collecting the history of the University of New Hampshire was set up in five rooms in the Field House in 1966 by curator Phil Wilcox. In 1977 it was closed due to lack of financial support and the collection was put into storage.
In 1988 the alumni classes of 1932, 1937, and 1958 contributed funds to move the museum into Thompson Hall and to create a small operating endowment.
Though the Thompson Hall location breathed life back into the museum, the limited access and lack of climate control make it necessary to find a new home. The newly renovated Dimond Library, with climate control and improved access has proven to be a wise move.