The Biological Sciences Library (Grinnell Library) is located on the first floor of Kendall Hall. We serve the College of Life Sciences and Agriculture, the Cooperative Extension Service, related departments and research units, the statewide academic community, and the general public.
Reserve materials and secured items are kept at the checkout desk. New books and journal issues are displayed for one week before circulating. Periodicals, consisting mostly of research journals, are shelved alphabetically by title.
- The Biological Sciences Library started as a small collection of Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletins about the year 1910.
- Before moving to the current location in Kendall Hall, the library was housed in the west side of Nesmith Hall and was called the Plant and Animal Science (PAS) Library.
- In addition to books and print journals, the library contains a reference collection, COLSA theses and dissertations, reserve materials, 11 public computers (including 5 wireless laptops), a networked printer, a photocopier, and a Cat's Cache add-value machine.
- The library has approximately 50 seats, not including the lobby area.
Harold C. Grinnell
The Biological Sciences Library was dedicated as the Grinnell Library in memory of Harold C. Grinnell on October 14, 1972. Dr. Grinnell was a teacher and researcher in Agricultural Economics from 1932 to 1965. He served as the Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station from 1950 to 1958 and as the Dean of the College of Agriculture from 1950 to 1961.