Guide to the UNH Centennial Development Fund Scrapbook, 1964-1966
Collection number: UA 6/1/7
About the UNH Centennial Development Fund
In 1966, the University celebrated the centennial of its founding in 1866. Although
much had changed for the school during its first century, one problem that had
existed from the beginning-- securing financial support from the legislature --
remained a perennial battle. With the university growing much faster than the income
of the state government, President John McConnell had told the trustees: “It is
becoming increasingly apparent that in order to do some of the things we want to do,
it will be necessary to secure private funds.” In 1963 he was authorized to appoint
a full-time director of development, Daniel A. Ferber. Ferber’s first project, the
UNH Centennial Development Fund, was a drive to raise $3,700,000—later raised to
$4,200,000—in connection with the forthcoming centennial observation. Trustee
Sinclair Weeks agreed to be chairman of the drive. The Alumni Association
contributed to the Centennial Fund through its Annual Alumni Fund drive. The funds
raised in that campaign helped to pay for the construction of McConnell Hall and the
New England Center.
About the UNH Centennial Development Fund Scrapbook
This scrapbook was compiled by George Bamford ‘52, Director of the UNH Fund. It
contains fundraising forms, letters, publicity, articles and news clippings about
This collection is open.
Copyright is retained by the University of New Hampshire.
[Identification of item], UNH Centennial Development Fund Scrapbook, 1964-1966,
UA 6/1/7, Milne Special Collections and Archives, University of New Hampshire
Library, Durham, NH, USA.
Transferred from the Alumni Office, Feb. 2017.