Guide to the Elizabeth Yates Galley Proof, 1973
Collection number: MS 235
About Elizabeth Yates
Elizabeth Yates (December 6, 1905-July 29, 2001) was a prolific American author. She was born in Buffalo, New York, and in her childhood transformed an unused pigeon loft on the family farm into a secret writing place. After her schooling was finished, she moved to Manhattan and began writing book reviews and other newspaper articles for publications such as The Christian Science Monitor and The New York Times. In 1929, she married William McGreal and the couple moved to England, where they lived for the next 10 years. In 1938, her first book, High Holiday, was published by London publishing company A & C Black. The couple returned to the United States in 1939, and settled in Peterborough, New Hampshire. They bought a farm, and a discovery of old artwork during the restoration of the farmhouse prompted Yates to write Patterns on the Wall. Personal experience formed the basis of many of Yates’ novels. She is perhaps best known for her 1951 Newbery Medal winning novel Amos Fortune, Free Man. She also received the Newbery Honor in 1944 for Mountain Born. Many of Yates’ books were illustrated by British artist Nora Unwin.
Yates conducted writer’s workshops at the University of New Hampshire, the University of Connecticut, and Indiana University.
About the Elizabeth Yates Galley Proof, "The Road Through Sandwich Notch"
The Road Through Sandwich Notch, with drawings by Nora S. Unwin, was published in Brattleboro, Vt. by Stephen Greene Press in 1973 and was influential in preserving that portion of New Hampshire for inclusion in the White Mountain National Forest. The galley proof numbers 40 pages.
This collection is open.
Contents of this collection are governed by U.S. copyright law. For questions about publication or reproduction rights, contact Special Collections staff.
Elizabeth Yates Galley Proof, 1973, MS 235, Milne Special
Collections and Archives, University of New Hampshire Library, Durham, NH, USA.
Purchase, Burt Babcock, July 8, 1985 (Accession number: 8512)