After World War II, changes in commuting and housing patterns, and increasing numbers of faculty, staff, and students began to affect parking on campus. More faculty and staff commuted to work. Students, both residents and commuters, wanted to have access to their cars and more reliable parking.
By 1960, parking lots had been established in the core campus area as well as newer lots on the edge of the campus.
A 1951 parking report stated that faculty and staff expected to be able to park near where they worked and specifically noted that extra parking was needed near Kingsbury and Nesmith Halls.
The authors even outlined a plan to pave a significant area around Nesmith to create a larger parking lot and access road. The report also mentioned complaints from the faculty about the rudeness of parking enforcement.
When the Paul Creative Arts Center was dedicated in 1960, there were nearby parking lots available for use during events. But as academic buildings were built in areas once parking lots, easy parking access to PCAC was lost.
A 1969 parking survey mentioned anecdotally a parking protest from Paul Creative Arts faculty and staff who refused to pay parking fines or follow parking regulations because of the perception of lost parking spots. Car and parking access to PCAC remain problematic even today.
Student parking needs started to grow as a result of more students commuting and living off-campus and having more money. Reduction in bus and train services encouraged students to bring cars to campus.
The 1951 parking report stated that students and faculty parking needs were different and that commuting students could find plenty of parking in Durham. Students felt differently and complaints (and jokes) about parking began to show up in The New Hampshire.
The Conant Courtyard parking lot reached its full size by the 1960s. But in future campus master plans, it would be targeted for removal as the campus planning community began to change how parking lots would be developed and located.