Selected Physics and Astronomy e-Resources
This list includes:
- Databases that are made available by UNH Library subscription
- Selected links to major free online resources for physics
- Physics and astronomy-oriented "lists of links."
PHYSICS & ASTRONOMY:
Astrophysics Data System -- This NASA project indexes research publications in astronomy and astrophysics/planetary sciences/solar physics; instrumentation;
physics and geophysics; and the arXiv/Los Alamos eprint server. Provides full-text for some entries. Sources include journals, conference proceedings, NASA reports, and dissertations. You can search by author, object name (astronomy), title, words in the abstract, or journal citation. Links to online abstracts and journal articles, and
extensive set of scanned journal and proceedings papers. Also provides access to NED (NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database) and SIMBAD (Set
of Identifications, Measurements, and Bibliography for Astronomical Data). Other functions include a table-of-contents service for over 20 journals, links to cited and citing articles, and scanned copies of selected books and observatory reports.
ARIBIB, Bibliographical Database for Astronomical References -- major index for all areas of astronomy and astrophysics, covering the international research literature. Includes biographical and historical references to the field. Types of sources indexed include journals, proceedings, books and reports. Refers to abstracts published in its printed
counterparts, Astronomy and Astrophysics Abstracts, 1969-2000, Astronomischer Jahresbericht, 1899-1968, and earlier bibliographies (see UNH Library Catalog for information on print holdings).
- arXiv.org e-Print archive (aka LANL) -- needs no introduction
- DOE Information Bridge-- a resource for full-text and bibliographic records of U. S.Department of Energy (DOE) research reports in physics, chemistry, materials, biology, environmental sciences, energy technologies, engineering, computer and information science, renewable energy, and more. Links to EnergyFiles, the Virtual Library of Energy Science and Technology.
- INIS (International Nuclear Information System) -- INIS provides a comprehensive information reference service for literature on the peaceful applications of nuclear science and technology, such as imaging and energy. Includes citations for most of the world´s relevant scientific and technical literature on nuclear science, including references from journals, proceedings, and technical reports, 1970 - present. INIS is part of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- INSPEC -- Known in print as Physics Abstracts and produced by the IEE, this major resource covers the international research literature of physics and astronomy, electrical and electronic engineering, computing and control, and information technology. It includes abstracts for journal and proceedings articles, as well as selected reports and books, back to 1969. Can be co-searched with Ei Compendex (see below). For excellent documentation on special INSPEC features, see their: support pages.UNH only.
- SPIRES HEP Database -- Run by the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center(SLAC) since the late 1960's, this covers particle physics literature worldwide. Use the Help pages for search tips and syntax.
- Physics resources from SLA-PAM
- Astronomy resources from SLA-PAM
- PhysNet -- the worldwide Physics Departments and Documents Network
OTHER MAJOR DATABASES of interest:
- Ei Compendex -- indexes engineering articles from over 2,600 sources, including journals, conferences, and reports, offering broad coverage of engineering literature from 1970 on. Includes abstracts for 50% of entries. Can be co-searched with INSPEC (above). UNH only
- MathSciNet -- indexes mathematics articles from over 2,600 sources, including journals, conferences, book series, and reports, offering broad coverage of the literature of mathematics from 1940 on. Is the equivalent of Mathematical Reviews in print. Includes reviews for all entries. Produced by the American Mathematical Society. UNH only
- SciFinder Scholar -- online searching of Chemical Abstracts; full searching from 1976 to present, and limited searching 1907-1975. Requires PC or Mac client software; this link takes you to the download page. UNH only
- Web of Science -- This abstract database, produced by ISI, permits citation searching and general reference searching of the world's most cited research journals, from 1977-present. The Science section is also known as Science Citation Index or SciSearch and covers nearly 6,000 journals. UNH only.
Handbooks and Data
- Review of Particle Physics -- updated every two years by members of the international Particle Data Group (PDG), RPP is a full review of current knowledge in particle physics. It includes data as well as well as textual information. Sections are: Summary Tables and Conservation Laws, including best values of measured properties of well-established particles; Reviews, Tables, Plots: covering the Standard Model, QCD, statistics, collider parameters, particle detectors, and cosmology; and Particle Listings, including evaluated data and brief reviews of aspects of many given particles. Open to all.
IN PRINT ONLY: Landolt-Bornstein's numerical data and functional relationships in science and technology -- a massive compendium of data, useful in chemistry, physics, and other fields with a strong emphasis on properties and behaviors of atoms, molecules, mixtures, and materials. Use one of the following indexes Organic Searchable, Organic Static, 2006, Inorganic to get volume and page references.
- NIST Chemistry WebBook -- thermochemical, thermophysical, and ion energetics data compiled by the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) under the Standard Reference Data Program. Free to all as of March 2009.
- DOE Data Explorer (DDE)--a unique tool that identifies collections of Department of Energy-sponsored numeric files, figures and data plots, multimedia and images,computer simulations, specialized databases, and interactive data maps. Links to customized interfaces developed by data owners and to software toolkits that allow you to manipulate, compare, visualize, download, and re-use the data. Data is hosted at national
laboratories, data centers, scientific user facilities, colleges and
universities involved in DOE projects.
Online Journals and Other Full-text Resources
Online journals that are available through UNH are searchable by title, subject, and keyword in the Library's online catalog. You can limit your search to just "Periodicals and Newspapers" which will yield a more focused result list.
- UNH Library's Online Journal List -- you can check for journals accessible at UNH by broad subject areas, or search by title.
- arXiv.org -- see entry above, under Databases, for the arXig pre-print server
- NASA Scientific and Technical Information -- provides free access to full-text NASA and NACA technical reports and to Scientific and Technical Aerospace Reports (STAR), an online publication listing citations and abstracts of NASA and worldwide aerospace-related research, which is updated biweekly. Also offers paid services (UNH does not subscribe to these at this time).
- Science.gov, a broad gateway for finding public, scientific U.S. government websites and documents contributed by 14 federal agencies.
- TRAIL-Technical Report Archive and Image Library: a growing digital archive with a goal of providing persistent, unrestricted access to early U.S. federal technical reports (most prior to 1982). This is an academic collaboration that is not crosslinked to the federal government search engines. As of Spring 2009, this holds 1000+ reports in fulltext and is an excellent source for National Bureau of Standards Monographs.
More Library Services
- Current Contents -- updated weekly, this service provides alerts with citations based on keyword searches or current journal tables-of-contents. You can set up customized alerts that will be sent to you via email. Please contact Emily Poworoznek at 862-4168 or el @ cisunix.unh.edu for details or to set up your alerts.
- Catalogs: UNH Library Catalog (UNH at Durham & Manchester), Virtual Catalog (BLC: regional), Worldcat (OCLC: national with some international)
- Infotrieve (FAQ and link)
- InterLibrary Loan
- New Books at the UNH Library branches
Other Internet Links for Astronomy and Physics
UNH Physics Links
Disclaimer: There is a wealth of online information available for Physics and Astronomy; no list can include it all. If you have a site you'd like to recommend for inclusion on this list, please contact Emily Poworoznek, Engineering & Physical Sciences Librarian, at the email address below.
Please direct questions or comments to:
Heather Gagnon, Physics Library Associate, heather.gagnon(at)unh.edu (phone: 862-2348); or
Emily Poworoznek, Engineering & Physical Sciences Librarian, el(at)cisunix.unh.edu (phone: 862-4168)
(emails altered to reduce spam -- please change (at) to @ before using).
Back to Physics Library
Other UNH Library web sites
UNH Library Web site
Math & Computer Science
This page last updated March 2010.