Selected Online Resources for Engineering
ASTM Standards at UNH
The Engineering, Math & Computer Science Library has current year plus
two back years in print, and online access to Section 4 (active
standards only) of the Annual Book of ASTM Standards. More info
ASCE Hurricane info web site:
Hurricane Events Analysis, Response, and Mitigation
An ASCE Special Collection of Published Journal and Magazine Articles and Proceedings Papers, made freely available.
Evacuation and Shelters; Levees; Models and Simulation; Prediction and Planning; Storm Gusts; Structural Performance and Damage assessment
U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board (CSB):
CSB web site
From the web site: "The CSB is an independent federal agency charged
with investigating industrial chemical accidents....The CSB conducts root cause investigations of chemical
accidents at fixed industrial facilities." Topics covered:
Current and completed investigation reports, investigation digests, safety publications, recommendations, and more.
Indexes and Abstracts:(for earlier years, please inquire about printed indexes)
- ASCE Library -- Search across American Society of Civil Engineers journals and conference proceedings. The Library includes ASCE Conference Proceedings beginning in 1996, and all 33 ASCE Journal and Periodical volumes published since 1983.
- Applied Mechanics Reviews Online -- produced by ASME, indexes mechanical engineering journal articles from 1989 to present. UNH only
- Applied Science & Technology Abstracts -- indexes articles from over 550 trade and professional society journals, in applied science and technology, from 1983 to present. UNH only
- Cambridge Scientific Abstracts databases. UNH only. Includes:
- Aquatic Sciences & Fisheries Abstracts
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Abstracts
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management (click to search subfiles)
- GeoRef (geoscience)
- Oceanic Abstracts
- Water Resources Abstracts
- DOE Information Bridge-- a resource for full-text and bibliographic records of U. S.Department of Energy (DOE) research reports in physics, chemistry, materials, biology, environmental sciences, energy technologies, engineering, computer and information science, renewable energy, and more. Links to EnergyFiles, the Virtual Library of Energy Science and Technology.
- Ei Compendex -- indexes articles from over 2,600 sources, including journals, conferences, and reports, offering comprehensive coverage of engineering literature from 1970 on. Includes abstracts for 50% of entries. UNH only
- INSPEC -- produced by the IEE, this major resource covers the international research literature of physics and astronomy, electrical and electronic engineering, computing and control, and information technology. It includes abstracts for journal and proceedings articles, as well as selected reports and books, back to 1969. UNH only.
- SciFinder Scholar -- online searching of Chemical Abstracts, 1907-present. Requires PC or Mac client software --click on the title to access the download page. This is for UNH faculty, staff, and students with noncommercial purposes only, please.
- TRIS Transportation Research Information Services -- includes nearly 500,000 references to books, technical reports, conference and journal articles, and current projects on transportation research.
- Web of Science The Web of Science, produced by ISI, includes citation searching and general reference searching of the world's most cited research journals, from 1977-present. The Science section is also known as Science Citation Index or SciSearch. UNH only.
More full-text and data sources:
- ACM Digital Library, the complete, searchable collection of journals, conference proceedings and newsletters published by the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery). The journals and proceedings are available in full-text, most back to the first volume of each title.
- DOE Data Explorer (DDE)-a unique tool that identifies collections of Department of Energy-sponsored numeric files, figures and data plots, multimedia and images,computer simulations, specialized databases, and interactive data maps. Links to customized interfaces developed by data owners and to software toolkits that allow you to manipulate, compare, visualize, download, and re-use the data. Data is hosted at national
laboratories, data centers, scientific user facilities, colleges and
universities involved in DOE projects.
- IEEE journals, conference proceedings, and standards, fully searchable on the IEEE Xplore platform. UNH only
- NEPIS - National Environmental Publications Internet site, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) website for online fulltext or hardcopy documents. These range from brochures to technical reports. Choose from simple, advanced, or field search. If you are only interested in online fulltext, be sure to choose that or un-check the "Hardcopy Publications" box. Ask a librarian if you would like assistance with searching.
- Safari Tech Books Online -- A searchable online library of full-text books on computing and information technology. UNH only
- Science.gov, a broad gateway for finding public, scientific U.S. government websites and documents contributed by 14 federal agencies.
- SPIE Digital Library -- the full-text conference proceedings published by SPIE, the Society of Photo-optical and Instrumentation Engineers; includes a full search interface. UNH only
- TRAIL-Technical Report Archive and Image Library: a growing digital archive with a goal of providing persistent, unrestricted access to early U.S. federal technical reports (most prior to 1982). This is an academic collaboration that is not crosslinked to the federal government search engines. As of Spring 2009, this holds 1000+ reports in fulltext and is an excellent source for National Bureau of Standards Monographs.
Lists of Links
- Major Sites
- Selected Sites
Library Presentations for Engineering
Please send comments to Emily Poworoznek (el @ cisunix. unh .edu),
UNH Engineering & Physical Sciences Librarian, UNH
Last updated February 2011
Return to Engineering, Math and Computer Science Library website.